Monday

Contextualization in a Hindu Setting

I have a "Google Alert" set so that I'm regularly getting emails whenever Google finds something on the internet about contextualization and Hinduism.  If I find something good, I want to be sure to blog it so that you know all about it.  Today, I want to share with you a link to an article that I find to be an excellent beginner's practical guide to contextualization and Hinduism.  It is especially written for those of us who are working among Hindus in North America.

Contextualization in a Hindu Setting

If you have a heart to develop deep, authentic relationships with your Hindu neighbors and co-workers in which friendship is real and Christ is glorified, take a look at this article.  It will help you get started.  I especially commend to you the "contextual skill set" that lists several basic to advanced skills that one should work on in order to deepen those cross-cultural relationships.  Skills listed include learning how to pronounce names correctly, learning to appreciate food, and learning about Hindu worship practices and forms.

This article has no listed author, but it appears to come from a website called "Go Network Online" which has a stated mission of "Reproducing spiritually healthy networks of God's Kingdom within Hindu communities worldwide."  I've not dug deeply into this "member's only" site, but I love the graphic that is on the home page.  


Lately, I've been wrestling with questions of discipleship among the Bhutanese-Nepalis with whom we are working and this graphic helps me to consider different realms or areas where spiritual growth is needed and helps me to ask questions of myself as to what my responsibilities are as a disciple-maker for Christ's sake.  As a matter of fact, after looking at the diagram for a few minutes, I printed it out and taped it to the inside of my Nepali Bible so that it would be handy for me to view whenever I'm with young Nepali Christ-followers.


So, I'm happy to commend these resources to you today.  Let me know if they raise any questions for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment